< Back to All News

Explore a Selection of the Class of 2023's Thesis Books

June 6th, 2023

A rite of passage for each second-year student at the end of the academic year at Cranbrook Academy of Art is ringing the gong upon delivering their final thesis books to be permanently held in the collection of the Academy of Art Library. Our library currently holds approximately 4,600 thesis books of former graduates, most of which are able to be viewed by visitors upon request.

Rather than a bland stack of essays on letter paper, MFA and MArch candidates of the Academy create unique books to house their thesis statements, often with images of their work, hand-embellishments, and completely one-of-a-kind designs. The book’s style is completely up to each student’s discretion and may be presented in a range of styles from a professionally printed catalog to a completely handwritten journal. The Artist-in-Residence and student both sign the books which are stored at the library in a clamshell box or other storage option at the request of the artist.

Explore a selection of the Class of 2023’s thesis books below.

George P. Perez’s 2023 Thesis Book

George G. Perez (MFA Photography 2023)

Perez created an edition of four books, with one special edition. The tortilla-press-inspired case is made of oak wood and the pages are ink-jet printed canvas with laser-cut details. The leather binding came from his family’s tannery in León, Guanajuato, Mexico.

“I look at language as a mindful tool to help navigate the images I make to emphasize a photograph’s nostalgic qualities. I don’t use text directly but use the complexities of English and Spanish as a strategy to connect obscured meanings in polysemy words, oxymorons, and their dualities. In these pages, I simply used the English alphabet as the first step into that perspective. With each page turned, a process of reconstruction and deconstruction is being practiced.

For the book, I used the tortilla press and re-found images as a model to create the substance of this modest book run. As a tool, I have used the tortilla press to quickly mold out ceramic circle tiles with canvas but here it is the plinth that holds the book intact. I looked at selected and curated images like color pallets and broke them down to their simplest color forms. Presenting their abstraction more than their representation. By reconstructing the material nature of these colors, letters, and object-ness, I navigate and play into my bilingual upbringing, to interpret another type of fluent language– to create patterns and present ambiguous views in visual structures.”

George P. Perez’s 2023 Thesis Book

Ardele Monk’s 2023 Thesis Book

Ardele Monk (MFA Fiber 2023)

Monk created her thesis book by hand, utilizing an inkjet printer to create the t-shirt transfers.

“For this book, I combined many different techniques and materials. The front and back cover are hand-woven potholders which were then dyed and embellished. The pages are hand-bound with white denim. The beginning of the book consists of actual material explorations, (which I had a really fun time doing). The portfolio portion and various graphics in the book are printed on laser jet T-shirt transfer paper, which I then ironed onto the denim pages.

I’m really proud that I allowed myself to enjoy the process of making the book. After grappling with doing a paper book vs a handmade book I took the plunge and decided to make it by hand. I’m so glad I did and I’m very happy with the result.”

Monk’s advice for future students on creating the thesis book is to have fun with the process. She says, “The thesis book is our final ‘project’ while at Cranbrook; make it an enjoyable experience. Don’t be afraid the think outside of the box. If working on a computer isn’t your thing, start working by hand and see where it takes you.”

Ardele Monk’s 2023 Thesis Book

Megha Gupta’s 2023 Thesis Book

Megha Gupta (MFA Ceramics 2023)

Ceramicist Megha Gupta’s thesis book is a collection of seven individual hand-bound volumes showcasing her journey at Cranbrook. It was printed on campus at our Central Media Lab with the help of fellow alumni, Laura Bombach, Technology Coordinator and Central Media Lab Manager, and Zahra Almajidi, Assistant Technology Coordinator.

In order, the titles of the seven volumes are In my studio, the world I hold; The Book of Dyes; The Blue Waste-glaze; A Study of Glazes; The Book of Walls; The Pink City; Drawing of Solace. The books are bound with various techniques including Japanese stab, saddle stitch, piano hinge, and Coptic bindings. Each volume contains different writing, sketches, and ephemera including original pencil illustrations, porcelain glaze samples, and hand-written text.

Of the process, Gupta says, “I am very pleased with the time I spent making these books. It was a very fulfilling and enjoyable period.” She also provided advice for future students making their thesis books, “It is very open-ended which can get a little tricky. If one has a convincing idea, stick to it until its fruition.”

Megha Gupta’s 2023 Thesis Book

Additional Thesis Books

Rachel Wittels (MFA Fiber 2023), ‘Recipe Portraits’ Thesis Book

Linda Sanchez (MFA Metalsmithing 2023), ‘Floating Landscape’ Thesis Book

Kiwi Phong Nguyen (MFA Metalsmithing 2023), ‘Thesis Collection: Inherited Gaze (Family Portraits)’ Thesis Book

Amy Wilson (MFA Ceramics 2023), Thesis Book

Learn more about Cranbrook Academy of Art and our eleven departments by requesting a mailed catalog or exploring our website. If you have questions about our admissions process or academic program, please email us at CAAadmissions@cranbrook.edu.